blog home Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Surprising Statistics on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By Renee Nordstrand on September 17, 2009

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5650a1.htm

According to the Center for Disease Control, unintentional Carbon Monoxide exposure accounts for an estimated 15,000 ER visits and 500 unintentional deaths in the United States each year (statistics current through 2004).  California alone had 115 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning from 1999-2004.

With such large numbers of people affected by carbon monoxide poisoning (including the many additional cases that go unreported), it is alarming that education-based measures are sparse at both state and national levels.

The Center for Disease Control Study found that adults over age 65 were most at risk for contracting carbon monoxide poisoning, and that the average daily number of carbon monoxide related deaths were in January, because in the cold, winter months, there is an increased use of gas-powered furnaces.  

Further, men contracted carbon monoxide poisoning at a higher rate than women, which the CDC attributes to male high-risk behaviors such as working with fuel-burning tools or appliances.

The CDC recommends that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented by proper installation and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances, as well as by installing a carbon monoxide detector in every home.  Currently, California has not passed legislation to mandate the use of carbon monoxide detectors in homes.

 

Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Kills Family in Detroit

By Renee Nordstrand on September 1, 2009

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090716/METRO/907160452/1409/METRO

 

Three children and their father died on July 16, 2009 from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Detroit, Michigan.  According to an article in the Detroit News, the family was using a generator in their basement to power two air conditioners in their home.  The family was using the generator because the power had been shut off in their home after they fell behind on utility payments.

 

According to a spokesman for DTE Electric who was quoted in the Detroit News article, “A generator should never be operated in a home. They produce carbon monoxide and other fumes that accumulate”.

 

Carbon Monoxide is a dangerous, poisonous and odorless gas which is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels.  An article on carbonmonoxidekills.com reports that poor installation or poor maintenance of an appliance and poor room ventilation may lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

If you or someone you know has been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning, you may be entitled to compensation.  If a landlord, building owner, or employer has not properly inspected the appliances where you live or work and you get carbon monoxide poisoning because of it, it would be in your best interest to contact an attorney experienced in carbon monoxide poisoning cases.  At Law Office of Renee J. Nordstrand, we have taken and won carbon monoxide poisoning cases and will help you recover what you deserve.

 

Share This Page