Santa Barbara Car Accident Lawyers
California has the most drivers in any state in the country, but not all of them can be trusted to drive responsibly. Whether due to drunk driving, speeding, or other reckless behavior, numerous accidents occur throughout Santa Barbara County and along the 101 freeway. These crashes injure innocent drivers and lead to expensive medical bills.
After an accident, you may be worried about how to pay for your medical bills, stressed about filing a claim, and angry at the person who injured you. You may want to quickly accept an insurance settlement to move on, but we at NordstrandBlack PC are here to tell you that would be a mistake. Insurance companies often offer small amounts to accident victims that hardly cover the costs of their emergency room bills, much less the long-term costs of their injuries.
Instead of accepting a small settlement, reach out to the Santa Barbara car accident lawyers at NordstrandBlack PC. Our legal team has more than 40 years of experience recovering compensation for injury victims throughout Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Goleta. We know how to investigate car accidents and determine fault. If a negligent driver caused your injuries, we use all of our skill and knowledge to advocate for full compensation from their insurance companies. To discuss your case in a free consultation, call our office at (866) 298-2041.
Car Accident Case Results
- $1,200,000.00 Settlement - Motorcycle/Auto Accident - Fractured Wrist
- $750,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Multiple Fractures
- $750,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Injuries Requiring Surgery
- $500,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Motorcycle Accident
- $300,000.00 Binding Arbitration - Auto Accident - Intersection Accident
- $300,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Rear-End Accident
- $285,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Multiple Injuries
- $150,000.00 Settlement - Auto Accident - Multiple Injuries
∗ Selected cases listed. Every case is different. Past case results are not a guarantee, and similar results may not be obtained in your case. View more case results here.
Certain causes of collisions are more frequent than others in Southern California, including:
- Impaired drivers: Whether drugs or alcohol are involved, driving with any kind of chemical impairment is not only illegal, but extremely dangerous. Impairments slow a driver’s reaction time, reduce good judgment, and make a collision more likely.
- Drowsy drivers: Driving while drowsy can be just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Falling asleep for a moment is all it takes to start a crash, which can have tragic consequences.
- Distracted drivers: Distractions take a driver’s attention and eyes off the road. Although mobile phones and passengers can distract a driver, the most common cause of distraction resulting in fatal accidents is simple daydreaming.
- Speeding drivers: Excessive speeds make it harder to control a vehicle, and can result in single-vehicle collisions if the driver goes faster than is safe in a turn.
- Unsafe conditions: Bad weather and poorly maintained roads can lead to accidents as easily as anything else. Drivers need to slow down in severe rain, fog, or other conditions that reduce visibility, and to watch out for potholes or other damaged areas of the road.
While the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office, Police Department, or California Highway Patrol may charge a negligent driver with a crime, you still deserve compensation for any injuries you suffered due to their reckless actions. That is why, after accident, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney at NordstrandBlack PC to discuss your legal options.
Since founding our firm, NordstrandBlack PC has seen the real-world impact of negligent driving, including cases where pedestrians were struck while crossing the street. In one instance, we were able to secure compensation from a government vehicle driver who injured a disabled man in a crosswalk.
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, get a thorough medical evaluation as soon as possible. Do not "wait and see" with regard to your injuries, or hope that you are not that injured -- this could be a dangerous mistake. Many accident victims feel a rush of adrenaline after a crash that makes it hard for them to recognize their own injuries. You may have a serious brain injury or spinal cord damage that could prove fatal if you do not see a doctor immediately.
In our experience, accidents victims throughout Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Goleta often suffer from:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Injuries to the brain can alter the rest of a victim’s life. TBIs can result in changes in personality, learning disabilities, memory loss, sensory loss, and other lifelong consequences. Even if you think you only have a concussion, you should speak to a doctor immediately and follow all instructions.
- Spinal cord injuries: The spinal column can become compressed or fractured during a collision with a large vehicle, resulting in a severe disability. Even with treatment, victims of spinal cord injuries often suffer from intense pain, have difficulty moving, or develop partial or complete paralysis.
- Traumatic amputation: Collisions can create jagged shards of metal and glass, which can slice through exposed limbs during the impact. Loss of fingers, hands, and legs will cause major difficulties throughout the rest of a victim’s life.
- Seatbelt-related injuries: Although seatbelts save lives, the violent forces in a collision can cause a seatbelt to dig into a person’s stomach and chest, causing damage to abdominal organs or fracture the victim’s ribs. When these safety features are not designed or worn properly, a person can slip under a seatbelt or “submarine.” This often results in the belt pulling on the neck and shoulder, causing serious trauma.
- Soft tissue damage: Muscles, tendons, and ligaments are easily damaged in a serious car crash, especially to the neck and shoulder. Whiplash is one of the most common soft-tissue injuries car accident victims suffer from. Damage to soft tissue can take weeks or months to heal, often requiring surgery and physical therapy to completely mend in severe cases.
- Facial injuries: Injuries to the face are often caused by flying debris or airbags, but anyone not wearing a seatbelt is at high risk of injury due to striking the seat, dashboard, or windshield in front of them. These injuries can require extensive surgery to reconstruct the face and interfere with daily activities like eating or even breathing.
- Broken bones: Despite advances in modern vehicles’ safety features, vehicle occupants and pedestrians can suffer severe broken bones in a collision. Even a minor fracture may make it difficult for you to work, take care of your children, and perform daily tasks.
- Burns: Collisions can cause a vehicle fire or explosion that severely injures a vehicle’s occupants.
While injuries to the spine or brain can be catastrophic, nothing is more tragic than a life cut short. Death can occur immediately at the scene of the vehicle accident or later due to complications from injuries. When a child is fatally injured in a car accident, it is heartbreaking for the parents, friends, and family of that young person.
When someone is killed in a vehicle collision in California, family members may file a lawsuit against the person who caused the accident. The parents of a deceased child, the spouse of a deceased loved one, or the child of a deceased parent may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. While this is not the first thing a grieving family wants to think about, a wrongful death suit can also provide you with the money to deal with the financial impact of your loved one’s passing.
If you were injured by a negligent driver, you are well within your rights to file an auto accident claim against his or her insurance company to recover compensation. Compensation can include the full costs of your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses you have suffered due to the other driver’s actions.
However, receiving full and fair compensation from an insurance company is not an easy task. Insurance companies are not charitable organizations. They often devalue accident claims to avoid paying. If you speak to an insurance company without an attorney, it will likely record that conversation to use against you at a later date. The company may try to settle the claim with you before you know the full extent of your injuries and have completely recovered from the accident. They may offer what seems like a fair settlement at the time but it is not. It may even try to place the blame on you or argue that you are not as injured as your medical reports say.
At NordstrandBlack PC, we have represented numerous clients who were unfairly treated by an insurance company after a collision. We understand just how stressful and draining the claims process can be, which is why we are strong advocates for accident victims. If you work with our legal team, we can utilize all of our expertise to demand proper compensation for your injuries.
When we take on a new client, we thoroughly review all available insurance policies, including both the other driver’s and your own. In addition to filing a claim against the other driver’s insurance company, we may also file an underinsured motorist claim against your own to help you recover.
We will also investigate the cause of your accident to ensure that all liable parties are held accountable. If a government agency, manufacturer, or property owner contributed to your collision, we will hold them accountable. We visit the scene of the accident, hire investigators to dig deeper, identify and get statements from witnesses, and reconstruct the accident to determine the cause of the collision, if necessary.
In addition to investigating your accident, we will calculate the full costs of your losses, which can include:
- All medical expenses, including past and future treatment
- Lost wages if you had to take time away from work to rest and heal
- Lost earning capacity if you were forced to reduce your work hours or change occupations
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium if you lost a loved one in a collision
Before agreeing to a settlement with an insurance company or at-fault driver, it is important to understand your legal rights and to know the full extent of your injuries. Auto accident victims are entitled to recover damages for almost all costs associated with the crash.
Before agreeing to a settlement with an insurance company or at-fault driver, it is important to understand your legal rights and to know the full extent of your injuries. Auto accident victims are entitled to recover damages for almost all costs associated with the crash, but you will need a knowledgeable law firm to get that compensation for you.
NordstrandBlack PC has the knowledge and resources to properly represent you in an auto accident claim. We will also calculate the total lifetime costs of your injuries and use our expertise to negotiate with the insurance companies. Learn more about your legal rights and options as an accident victim by scheduling a free consultation with one of our Santa Barbara personal injury lawyers. To do that, simply call our law office directly at (866) 298-2041 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
There are no legal fees to pay unless we win.
- How Senate Bill 1107 Affects Car Insurance Claims
- Are Roundabouts Safe?
- Tips for Maximizing Your Car Accident Injury Claim
- The Most At-Risk Groups in California Auto Accidents
- Filing a Claim as “Just” a Passenger
- Motor Vehicle Safety - CDC
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- DMV Office in Santa Barbara