Santa Barbara Slip and Fall Attorneys
Representing Victims of Serious Falls
Slips, trips, and falls are among the most common and serious injury-causing accidents throughout the United States, and California is no exception. We might not have to worry about snow and ice in Southern California, but there are still plenty of opportunities for slip-and-fall injuries, from the poolside to a construction site to grocery stores.
Suffering a slip-and-fall can be devastating, as these accidents often cause serious injuries that require a great deal of time and money to recover from. These accidents can also be embarrassing, because the image of a person falling is so often used in comedy.
If you have been involved in a slip-and-fall accident, there is no reason to feel embarrassed or foolish. Slip-and-falls account for over one million emergency room visits every year, and are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims in the United States. Do not suffer in silence; call a Santa Barbara dangerous property lawyer at NordstrandBlack PC today at (805) 962-2022. Tell us what happened, and we will discuss your legal options. Your consultation is free.
Premises Liability Case Results
- Confidential Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall at a Big-Box Store
- $295,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Grocery Store Trip and Fall
- $225,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall in Parking Log
∗ Selected cases listed. Every case is different. Past case results are not a guarantee, and similar results may not be obtained in your case. View more case results here.
Common Slip-and-Fall Accident Locations
Falls can happen anywhere, but there are a few locations you should keep in mind and be extra careful around. These include:
- Swimming Pools: Wet pavement around swimming pools is notoriously hazardous. You should always be careful around a pool - walk, don’t run. Property owners should make these areas as slip-resistant as possible and place clear warnings where people can see them.
- Rainy Sidewalks: Damaged or obstructed sidewalks already present a trip-and-fall hazard, but especially so when they are wet. Rain, lawn sprinklers, or even runoff can turn a sidewalk into a slippery trap. This is even more dangerous if it has not rained for awhile, as dust and dirt on the sidewalk can mix with falling rain, making the sidewalk even more slippery.
- Stairways: Falls on stairways are extremely serious and far too common. Always use a handrail when going up or down stairs. Property owners must make sure their stairs are properly maintained, in good condition, and well-lit at night.
- Construction Sites: Falls are the most common accidents on construction sites, and the leading cause of construction worker fatalities in the U.S. every year. Slip, trip, and falls can happen just about anywhere, but are bigger threats when a worker is on a scaffold or near a trench. Even if you do not work in construction, be careful any time you have work done inside or outside your home or business. Contractors must mark off or block dangerous areas to keep pedestrians safe.
- Business Entrances: Entryways in stores can be very dangerous, especially if it is raining and people are tracking water into the store. Each business must make a reasonable effort to keep these areas safe for customers by placing mats down and mopping as necessary to remove water or slip hazards.
- Grocery Stores: Stores display merchandise so as to draw a shopper’s attention to an item. This often causes shoppers to miss dangerous conditions such as a protruding pallet, something left in an aisle, or an obstacle on the floor, causing a shopper to slip and fall.
Serious Injuries from Slip-and-Falls
The most common injuries seen in a slip-and-fall accident include:
- Lacerations: Cuts can be serious due to both blood loss and the potential for infection. Minor scrapes might not need more than antibacterial treatment and a bandage, but serious cuts typically require disinfection, stitches or glue, and antibiotics or a shot to prevent infection.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are painful and often require months of recovery time. Medical attention should always be sought whenever it seems like a bone might be broken in a slip-and-fall accident.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord is one of the worst injuries possible in a slip-and-fall. Spinal injuries often cause intense pain, which can require lengthy treatment or surgery to relieve. Severe spinal injuries can also cause partial or complete paralysis.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Injuries to the head and brain are incredibly serious and extremely common in falls. Brain damage can lead to changes in a victim’s lifestyle, major disabilities, and instant or delayed death in some cases.
Who Is Liable?
While you may feel like you are to blame because you slipped and fell, there is a good chance someone else acted in a negligent way that contributed to the accident and you were injured as a result.
For example, a property owner who failed to replace a light in a stairway, a friend who pushed you into a pool, and a business that did not clean up water in an entryway could all be potentially liable for injuries that you suffered. Take action and call our Southern California slip-and-fall attorneys at NordstrandBlack PC to discuss your case and discover what options are available to you. We will investigate your case to discover all the liable parties and sources of compensation for your recovery. Call (805) 962-2022 for a free consultation today.
- Walk Up in the Club, then Trip and Fall
- Be Wary of Premises Liability During the Holidays
- Jury Awards Nearly $800,000 in Santa Barbara Premises Liability Case
- Slip & Fall Quick Facts
September 14, 2019
September 8, 2019
September 1, 2019