blog home Pedestrian – Car Accident

Lompoc Family Wants Justice for 8-Year-Old Injured in Crash

By Renee Nordstrand on June 4, 2013

The family of an eight-year-old Lompoc girl who was struck by a car while playing in her neighborhood is demanding to know why the driver of the vehicle has only received a citation for the pedestrian accident.

It has been weeks since the crash, which left the little girl with two broken ribs, a broken collarbone, a sprained wrist, and a laceration to her liver. The family claims that the little girl also suffered brain trauma. She has not been back to school since the accident.

The family alleges that the driver of the vehicle hit the girl and then left the scene of the accident to run into her boyfriend’s house. Lompoc Police say that they do not consider the accident a hit-and-run, but that the case has been sent to the District Attorney’s office for review.

According to KCOY News, the family is still waiting to hear from the driver of the vehicle and wants her to pay for what she’s done.

“Why aren’t they helping us? Why aren’t they reaching out to our family? Where is the compassion for us? I just want answers,” the girl’s grandmother told KCOY News.

The driver was cited for cutting a corner too closely before striking the little girl, who was riding her scooter. Lompoc Police say that alcohol or drugs are not considered a factor in the crash.

The girl’s grandmother told KCOY News that she feels a citation isn’t enough for what’s been done. “It’s not fair,” she said.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian crash, you can be faced with expensive medical bills and rehabilitation costs, loss of wages, and permanent disability. The pedestrian accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Reneé J. Nordstrand are dedicated to providing our clients with the experienced and compassionate legal representation they deserve. We promise to fight for your legal rights and will tenaciously seek the maximum compensation you will need to speed you on your road to recovery.

If you have questions about your case, call our Santa Barbara office at (805) 962-2022 or our Encino office at (818) 981-3530 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can also be contacted online. We are here to help you and your family.

Pedestrian Struck, Killed in Van Nuys a Day After Mayor Announces More Crosswalks for L.A.

By Renee Nordstrand on December 27, 2012

Los Angeles police report that a pedestrian was struck and killed near the intersection of Vanoween Street and Noble Avenue in Van Nuys at about 4:50 a.m. Reportedly, he had been walking in a crosswalk at the time of the deadly pedestrian accident.

The driver claims he never saw the pedestrian before striking him.

Sadly, the pedestrian was killed the day after Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced at a press conference that 53 new crosswalks would be added throughout the Los Angeles area, with the aim of reducing the number of pedestrians hit by vehicles.

The crosswalk campaign is being funded by Measure R, which was passed in 2008. According to the Daily News, the mayor announced an education campaign to accompany the rollout of the new crosswalks, stating that, “this focus on pedestrian safety is part of our efforts to create a 21st century transportation network that works for everyone.”

The 53 crosswalks will be put mostly near transit lines or schools. These intersections were selected because of the high reports of vehicle-pedestrian collisions in those areas. The city’s newly hired pedestrian coordinator told the press conference, “The new crosswalks make a clear statement that our streets belong to everyone and that we should be safe when sharing the road.”

The San Fernando Valley pedestrian accident lawyers at Renee J. Nordstrand have helped hundreds of accident victims over the past 25 years, so we understand your needs and concerns. If you’ve been injured, or if you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, we can help you and your family understand your legal rights and will aggressively work to hold those who are responsible liable for their actions.

If you have any questions, contact our Southern California Offices in Encino at (818) 981-3530 to see if you have a case.

Santa Barbara Man Struck and Killed by Motorist

By Renee Nordstrand on May 18, 2010

http://www.independent.com/news/2010/may/17/homeless-man-killed-traffic-accident/?print

A Santa Barbara man was struck by a car and killed on Saturday evening, the Santa Barbara Independent reports.   The accident occurred at State and Islay Streets around 8:30 pm.  The victim, who was homeless and whose identity has yet to be released, was crossing the intersection of State and Islay Streets as Javier Castillo, 23, proceeded northbound on State Street in a 2004 Mazda RX-8. Castillo told investigators he believed the man was going to make it across the intersection on foot before he reached it by vehicle; however, he miscalculated and struck the victim. 

The victim sustained a broken leg and chest wounds before passing away from his injuries at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. 

According to police, witnesses have substantiated Castillo’s account of how the incident occurred, and to date no criminal charges have been filed against him.  The investigation is still ongoing, however, and any witnesses to the accident should contact Officer Mark Hunt at (805) 897-3719.

 

If you’ve been forced to cope with sudden loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, we at the Law Office of Renee J. Nordstrand understand your concerns and want to help.  Our resources, experience, and depth of legal knowledge consistently result in successful settlements for families who have experienced tremendous loss.   Contact Los Angeles and Santa Barbara wrongful death attorneys today for a free consultation.

Garden Grove Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Car

By Renee Nordstrand on May 7, 2010

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hit-247500-street-car.html

A man was killed Wednesday afternoon following a pedestrian to car accident on Ward Street in Garden Grove, the Orange County Register reports. 

According to the article, the pedestrian was crossing a marked crosswalk at approximately 4 pm when a car traveling northbound on Ward Street failed to stop at the cross walk and struck the unidentified pedestrian, who was pronounced dead at the scene of the incident. 

Police state that drugs and alcohol were not a factor in causing the accident, however, gave few additional details as to how the incident occurred. 

If you have been the victim in a pedestrian to car accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation for lost earnings, medical expenses, and pain and suffering. Contact skilled personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation and to learn how Law Office of Renee J. Nordstrand will fight for your legal rights.

Ventura Teen Struck by Car

By Renee Nordstrand on March 5, 2010

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/mar/05/police-identify-buena-high-school-student-struck-c/

17-year-old Candice Fulcher was struck and critically injured by a vehicle while running across an intersection to catch a school bus on Thursday, the Ventura County Star reports.

According to witnesses, Fulcher, of Ventura, was crossing north Telephone Road in a crosswalk against a red light when a car driven by 24-year-old Monique Rodriguez, also of Ventura, struck her.  Rodriguez was not cited for the crash and was fully cooperative with authorities.  Fulcher is currently being treated at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

One witness to the incident noted that he often sees students crossing the same intersection against a red light in order to catch the school bus on Petit Avenue, highlighting an area in which school district and city officials may need to improve student safety and facilitate discussion on student bus stops.

I wish the victim a full and speedy recovery from her injuries.

Law Office of Renee J. Nordstrand has successfully handled numerous cases involving pedestrians and motor vehicles.  If a car has injured you as a pedestrian, please contact experienced personal injury attorneys today to discuss your legal options.  We offer free consultations and there are no legal fees to pay unless you win.

Family Files $75 Million Claim Against City of Westminster

By Renee Nordstrand on October 29, 2009

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/adam-wilhite-accident-2627369-intersection-street

Kurt Wilhite, the father of a Westminster teen who remains in a coma after being struck by a car over one year ago, has filed a $75 million claim against the city, the Orange County Register reports.  The claim alleges that the intersection where Adam Wilhite, 17, crossed illegally and was struck by a car did not have proper signage or lighting and was thereby a dangerous road condition and safety hazard to pedestrians.

Adam, who once aspired to be a Navy Seal, remains in a level three coma and will require constant care for the rest of his life.The City of Westminster has denied the claim.  The woman who hit Adam has not been cited or criminally charged.  The police report indicates that the street was well lit at the time of the incident, and that Adam caused the accident by crossing illegally and failing to yield to oncoming traffic.

However, supporters of the Wilhites argue that the intersection where Adam crossed was very close to a local high school where many Westminster students cross the street illegally on a daily basis just to get to school.  Because there are no nearby crosswalks, the road conditions are dangerous and pedestrians do not have a safe way to cross the street.

The City is responsible for maintaining safe road conditions that protect both pedestrians and drivers.  Failure to install proper safety measures, including “Don’t Walk” signs in areas where it is unsafe for pedestrians to cross, are indicators of dangerous road conditions that can lead to traffic accidents, and terrible tragedies such as this.

Experienced personal injury attorneys can help you determine who is liable when situations involving unsafe road conditions arise.  Please contact a Southern California law office if you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident for a free consultation.

Sixth Grader Hit by a Car on His Way to Class

By Renee Nordstrand on September 25, 2009

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/sep/24/oak-park-student-hit-by-car-in-stable-condition/

A sixth grade student at Medea Creek School in Oak Park was hit by a car on his way to class on Tuesday, according to the Ventura County Star.  The eleven-year-old boy was hit only 300 yards away from campus as he exited his mother’s vehicle.

The driver who hit him was traveling at approximately 20 miles per hour when the boy got out of his mother’s vehicle and stepped in front of the driver, who swerved and narrowly avoided hitting him head-on, instead hitting the boy with the passenger side mirror.

The boy was in the intensive-care unit at Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles as of Tuesday night.

This young boy’s family would do well to contact a California Personal Injury attorney who can help his family determine if he’s entitled to monetary compensation for his medical expenses and pain and suffering.

Ventura Teen at Fault in Crash that Kills Woman, Dog

By Renee Nordstrand on September 16, 2009

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/sep/15/teen-at-fault-in-fatal-august-crash-police-say/

A sixteen-year-old Ventura resident was determined to be at fault after he struck and killed a sixty-year-old woman, Susan Herman, and her dog on August 24 on Shoreline Drive.

Ms. Herman, who investigators believe was in the crosswalk when she was hit, died shortly after the accident at the hospital. Her dog was killed instantly.  While the boy was traveling at a low rate of speed at 25 m.p.h, police believe inattention contributed to the crash.

Reactions to the police’s determination that the boy was at fault have been mixed. Some local residents have raised questions regarding the visibility of the cross walk sign on Shoreline Drive, near Surfer’s Point, expressing concerns that the cross walk is on a curved road and is not clearly identified.

For others, the situation leads to questions on the legal driving age.  Some feel sixteen-year-olds aren’t ready to take on the roads on their own, and would like this situation to further the push for an older age of eighteen for driver’s license eligibility.

New Jersey, the only state which issues licenses at age 17, has consistently lower rates of teens killed in crashes than other states which issues licenses at 15.5 or 16.

According to theLowell.org, California had 524 accidents involving teenagers aged 16 to 18 last year.

While no legislation has been passed to raise the California driving age, California is leading the way in banning the use of hand-held cell phones while driving.  Further, California does not allow anyone under the age of 18 to drive between midnight and 5 a.m.

In the aftermath of a tragedy such as this, we offer our heartfelt thoughts to the families of both Susan Herman and the boy who hit her.