With winter nearly upon us, many people in Southern California and the Central Coast are firing up their heaters for the first time. This can be an especially dangerous time of year for potential carbon monoxide poisonings, according to a spokeswoman for CAL FIRE, because many heaters have not been checked and have collected dust over the summer.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the “silent killer” because carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. CAL FIRE says that the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, headache, and feeling faint or nauseated. It only takes a few minutes to be overexposed and the results can be deadly.
The spokeswoman for CAL FIRE stated, “It’s so important before you put your fireplace into service, your heaters into service, to get them checked out. [Carbon monoxide] is called a silent, invisible, deadly killer, because that’s exactly what happens.”
CAL FIRE stresses that it is important that every residence have a working carbon monoxide detector in order to avoid potential injuries and deaths.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a defective wall heater or a heater that has been improperly maintained by a landlord or property company, the carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers at The Law Offices of Renée J. Nordstrand have the resources to conduct an independent investigation into your case. When it comes to carbon monoxide poisonings, there is no “one case fits all” scenario, which is why it’s important that you seek professional legal representation from a law firm that is ready to fight for your legal rights in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
If you believe you have a case, call our office in Encino at (818) 981-3530. We are here to help you and your family.