Exposure to a toxic chemical spill at Irvine’s Ralphs grocery store sent six people to the hospital last night, the Orange County Register reports. Four of those hospitalized were Orange County firefighters who were called to Ralphs after an automatic alarm sounded shortly after the spill occurred at 7 p.m.
USA Today reports that Freon was leaking from a refrigerator, producing a haze of toxic fumes inside the store that sickened those exposed. According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Freon exposure can cause immediate symptoms of heart palpitations, dizziness, and irritation of the mouth, throat, lungs, and nose.
While in this particular incident toxic chemical exposure fortunately did not result in serious or permanent injuries, in other cases such exposure can result in permanent health conditions. Long-term exposure to harmful chemicals can be especially serious, and lead to disease and neurological and cognitive problems.
In some instances of toxic chemical poisoning or exposure, another person or entity may be held liable for their failure to maintain a safe living or working condition. If you have been a victim of toxic chemical exposure, please contact an experienced Southern California attorney today to learn more about your rights.