Santa Barbara Trip-and-Fall Attorneys
Representation for Victims of Trip-and-Fall Accidents
The phrase "accidents happen" fails to reflect that many times, there is someone ultimately at fault for an accident. Even when someone does not directly cause an accident, he or she contributed to it or allowed it to happen through some action or inaction. Injuries from accidents in Santa Barbara can be grounds for civil lawsuits, because there is often someone responsible for the situation that set the scene for the accident to happen.
Trip-and-fall accidents can be embarrassing; however, victims should not remain silent. Reckless individuals who create situations in which someone else can be injured need to be held accountable, and victims deserve compensation for their pain and suffering. If you or a loved one has been injured in a trip-and-fall accident in Southern California, call NordstrandBlack PC at (805) 962-2022 to set up a free consultation.
Premises Liability Case Results
- Confidential Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall at a Big-Box Store
- $295,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Grocery Store Trip and Fall
- $225,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall in Parking Log
∗ Selected cases listed. Every case is different. Past case results are not a guarantee, and similar results may not be obtained in your case. View more case results here.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
Falls are among the most common accidents in America; they frequently result in serious injuries and are the third leading cause of unintentional deaths (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Frequently, a fall occurs because someone failed to repair something or left an object in a walkway. Though slip-and-falls and trip-and-falls are similar, there is a subtle difference:
- Slips: People fall because a surface is slippery and they lose traction while walking on it. A person's shoes may lack traction on smooth surfaces, or a person may slip due to excessive water or ice on a walkway. Slips are serious risks both inside and outdoors - particularly when the weather is poor. Slipping and falling on a wet floor in a grocery store is an example of a slip-and-fall.
- Trips: A trip occurs when a person's foot strikes an object that causes the person to stumble forward or fall. These commonly occur when another person sticks out a foot, or leaves an object or obstruction in a pathway. If an apartment complex manager leaves a bag of garbage on a stairway, and a tenant trips over it and falls down the stairs, that is an example of a trip-and-fall.
Minor falls are painful and can cause soft tissue damage and broken bones. Falls from great heights or down stairs are dangerous, often causing traumatic brain injury or spinal injury, and are more often fatal than people realize.
Trip-and-falls are among the most common workplace accidents in the United States. Tripping hazards are common in many professions, particularly in retail environments where excess inventory may be placed on the ground, and on construction worksites, where materials and tools are strewn everywhere.
Employers must ensure their workplace is cleaned and maintained to minimize the risk of trip-and-falls to their employees. For example, in an office building, electronic cords should be gathered and tucked out of walkways. Cords are a common tripping hazard and also present the risk of electrical injury.
Negligence in a Trip-and-Fall
When a person falls, it is important to look at what happened and see if the accident occurred due to someone else's negligence. A person might slip on a step and fall down the stairs - but it is possible that he fell because one of the steps was in disrepair or not in compliance with safety standards. A customer who trips over merchandise left in the aisles of a retail store may be able to hold a storeowner liable for negligence and receive compensation for his injuries. A person who trips on a misplaced wheelstop may also be entitled to compensation.
Showing negligence and proving liability are no small tasks, especially in a trip-and-fall situation in Southern California. That is why an experienced personal injury attorney is so important. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a slip, trip, or fall, call NordstrandBlack PC at (805) 962-2022 today. In your free consultation, we will review your case and see if there is compensation available for you. If so, we will pursue it with all our experience and resources. You will owe us no fees until we recover fair compensation for you.
May 28, 2019
March 30, 2019
March 20, 2019