Santa Barbara Premises Liability Attorneys
Dangerous Property Accidents
Injuries that are caused by hazardous property conditions or property owner negligence are governed by an area of the law that lawyers refer to as "premises liability." While the best-known type of premises liability case is the slip-and-fall accident, there are many different accidents that fall into this category.
In each and every case of property owner negligence, the sooner a victim contacts a Santa Barbara injury lawyer, the better a victim’s chances for a full legal recovery will be. Filing and winning a civil lawsuit involves a lot of work, and requires knowledge of the law and how it is applied. This is not something you should try to handle on your own. Call us at NordstrandBlack PC at (805) 962-2022 to discuss what happened to you and talk about your options moving forward.
"The sooner a victim acts to protect their own legal rights by contacting a lawyer, the better their chances will be for full legal recovery."
- Renée J. Nordstrand
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability covers any kind of personal injury case in which the location itself is in some way involved or responsible for the accident and injuries that occur. Two people might collide in an automobile accident just about anywhere, but if it happens because of poor road design or lack of proper street or property maintenance, then premises liability may be involved. Similarly, slipping and falling down improperly constructed or poorly lit stairs, falling into a swimming pool, and being attacked by someone's dog can all fall under this category of the law.
Premises Liability Case Results
- Confidential Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall at a Big-Box Store
- $295,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Grocery Store Trip and Fall
- $225,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Fall in Parking Log
- $120,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Wheelchair Struck on Sidewalk
- $40,000 Settlement - Premises Liability - Skateboard Hit Uneven Cement
∗ Selected cases listed. Every case is different. Past case results are not a guarantee, and similar results may not be obtained in your case. View more case results here.
Cases We Handle
At NordstrandBlack PC, we represent people who have been harmed by accidents occurring at private homes, at businesses, and on public properties in Southern California. Premises liability cases our lawyers handle include:
- Animal Attacks - Pet owners are expected to properly train, restrain, and control their animals. When they fail to do so, people can be attacked and seriously injured – often, the victims are children. The owner of the animal and the property owner can often be held liable for damages from such an attack.
- Swimming Pool Accidents - Without proper safety precautions, swimming pools are among the most dangerous locations imaginable. Slips and falls, drowning, and serious diving injuries can all be caused by improper maintenance or failure to post safety regulations, making the pool owner and property manager liable for what happened.
- Amusement Park Accidents - When kept safe, amusement parks are fun for visitors of all ages. But without proper care and maintenance, lethal accidents can occur. The owner of the amusement park can then be held liable for the ensuing damages, both physical and emotional.
- Playground Accidents - Though some playground injuries may be no one's fault, other times the owner of the playground is to blame. Improperly maintained equipment can result in tragic accidents, and the owner of a playground and manufacturer of playground equipment is responsible for such negligence.
- Workplace Accidents – When accidents happen at work, if the accident was caused by someone other than the employer that third party can be found negligent and held liable for injuries that occur.
- Dangerous Road Design - These situations may be rare, but sometimes city planners and industrial engineers design roads in a way that makes accidents inevitable. When this happens, the city or state can be held responsible for accidents caused by the dangerous condition.
- Slips and Falls – Injuries due to a slip/trip and fall are the most common reason for premises liability claims. These dangerous conditions are often caused by improper maintenance, poor lighting, or slippery surfaces. Property or business owners who fail to keep customers and visitors safe can be held liable for injuries that occur after a slip/trip and fall.
Won't Insurance Handle It?
While insurance can help cover some accidents, there are two problems with relying on insurance after an accident: the property owner may not have insurance, and their policy might not cover your injuries. Although businesses and home owners usually have some form of insurance, often required by law, some simply don’t have it. Even if a homeowner does have insurance, that policy may not cover injuries involving people who do not live at the location.
At the end of the day, insurance companies are businesses that want to maximize their profits. That means they succeed by paying as little as possible on claims filed against their insured. You cannot rely on insurance to handle all of your costs or deal with you fairly, which is why you need an experienced and knowledgeable premises liability attorney on your side to make sure your financial needs are met.
How We Can Help Accident Victims
Due to successful efforts of the insurance industry, establishing negligence in a premises liability case has become much more difficult in recent years. As a result, it is very important that an investigation into what happened, and why, begin as soon as possible.
Our investigation of these accidents starts as soon as you hire us. We go to the scene. We interview potential witnesses and preserve evidence for trial. We make certain that the owner in question is properly notified. We also make certain that you get the medical treatment you need, that your injuries are documented, and that all of the ways in which you and your family have been affected are taken into account.
While your legal case is moving forward, we will be here – available to answer your questions, to address any concerns, and to keep you fully informed throughout. We will also be here to help you deal with the "not-necessarily-legal" problems that a serious accident or injury can bring into your life.
Get Help for Your Southern California Premises Liability Claim
If you've been injured in an apartment complex or on someone else's property, you deserve to have an experienced attorney representing you at all times. Here, you will. For a free consultation, call us at NordstrandBlack PC today at (805) 962-2022 or contact us online.
There are no legal fees to pay unless we win.
- A Retailer’s Responsibility for a Slip and Fall
- Airbnb Liability and Legality in Santa Barbara
- Walk Up in the Club, then Trip and Fall
- Watch Out for Cars Crashing Into Businesses
- Did You Stay Safe This Spring Break?
- Dealing with Mudslides
- Jury Awards Nearly $800,000 in Santa Barbara Premises Liability Case
October 29, 2019
October 1, 2019
September 14, 2019